Crematorium Site Manager (Barham)
Barham Crematorium (Kent)
Salary: £44,000 - £50,000 per annum + Site performance bonus + Benefits
Working flexibly, 5 days per week which will include regular weekends, evenings and early mornings when required. 40 Hours per week
Have you always wanted to use your transferable Management skills in a role where what you do can truly make a difference every day?
Would you enjoy leading a close-knit team with a sense of camaraderie not found in a generic job?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We are the largest independent operator of crematoria in the UK, employing more than 450 empathetic and dedicated individuals and we are growing.
Like many of our employees, you might not have considered this industry before, however with ongoing growth and passionate collaborative colleagues, you will find it one of the most varied and rewarding opportunities you could ever imagine.
Leading one of our sites means a real opportunity to make your mark. To ensure you are set up for success, you will undertake extensive training at your site but also at some of our other local sites with experienced Site Managers.
No two days will be the same as each family and service are uniquely personal. Families can hold the funeral of their choice and our Chapel has been designed to cater for people of all beliefs and faiths and for those who have none.
You will lead and develop your site team, ensuring that the culture reflects our values, and that our reputation for quality and exceptional care for families is maintained.
Our crematoria play an important part of the local communities that we serve. It is a privilege to provide the service and space for families to reflect and remember their loved ones all year round. Working closely with the local community and local Funeral Directors will be of paramount importance.
You will also be responsible for the day-to-day operations and performance of the site, taking ownership of health & safety, budgeting / P&L, and ensuring that standards and compliance are upheld.
When you join us, it’s an opportunity to be a part of something truly meaningful and significant.
Additional detail about the role:
- Lead, develop and manage your site team in all aspects of day to day business including monitoring performance in relation to KPI’s and budget.
- Conduct monthly site team meetings and carry out regular one to ones with your team.
- Promote a culture that recognises staff achievement.
- Ensure appropriate resource and structure to meet the needs of the site.
- Ensure all staff are appropriately trained and developed to fulfil their roles and their future potential.
- Community engagement with charities / community groups.
- Commercial performance – including undertaking site reviews and reporting of site performance against budget and KPI’s to Head of Division.
- Optimise the efficient use of site staff, facilities equipment, supplies, consumables and support services.
- Contribute to annual pricing activities and manage the processes for the site.
- Support Group projects, as required.
- Ensure facilities, buildings and grounds are maintained and are fit for purpose.
- Prepare business cases for significant capex spend for approval by the capex committee.
- Promote and support the Westerleigh Group memorial strategy.
- Continue building strong relationships with Funeral Directors in the area through engagement activities and promotion of the Westerleigh brand.
- Engage with quality audits and respond appropriately to findings.
- Contribute to the sharing of knowledge and best practice.
- Contribute to innovation and improved practice for your site and within the wider region.
- Ensure grounds are maintained and are developed in accordance with approved site plans.
- Monitor customer feedback in accordance with policy.
- Ensure the highest standards of health and safety and quality compliance.
Supporting the team with their duties when required:
- Chapel – Welcoming families & Funeral Directors and ensuring things run smoothly.
- Cremation – You’ll be fully trained and work towards an accredited FBCA qualification. Involved in the end to end cremation process and ashes management. You’ll need to be able bodied as there will be manual handling involved in this process.
- Ad hoc work – e.g. a Christmas service or making sure the site is tidy and presentable.
This role requires flexibility and pulling together as one team to support each other and provide the exceptional care and service that we are known for.
- An empathetic, experienced Business Manager and leader of people who loves to learn new things.
- Bereavement sector experience – Funeral Director / Crematorium Manager or similar would be beneficial although not essential. If you have strong people management skills and have experience of business management from any industry (many of our Managers have joined from Retail for example and worked as a Retail Manager / Store Manager) then we can teach you all you need to know about our uniquely personal industry.
- Management experience and proven experience of developing a team to success.
- A real team player with natural compassion and the desire to make a difference every day.
- Confident communicator able to speak to people in a caring and understanding manner.
- Comfortable to work with financials and commercial acumen
- Good IT skills and comfortable with Word / Excel and emails.
Westerleigh Group has been building and managing Crematoria for over 30 years and we care for over 60,000 cremations and burials every year. Our first site opened in 1992 in a village called Westerleigh, near to Bristol. We currently have 39 sites across England, Wales and Scotland with plans to continue growing responsibly.
We have established a reputation for creating beautifully landscaped, high quality and peaceful facilities where families can remember and celebrate the life of their loved ones. Our core objective is to deliver the highest possible standards of care in a way that is uniquely personal.
We play an active part in the local communities that we serve and in 2022 our sites have raised over £400,000 to support local charitable causes and projects.
Our letters to heaven post boxes continue to capture hearts and minds. An inspirational idea from the daughter of one of our colleagues.
What We Offer
If you would like to join the Westerleigh team, you can be sure of a warm welcome, ongoing training and development and a sense of pride by truly make a difference every day to the families that we serve. No two days are the same and many of our Managers have progressed upwards within the business.
The values we champion are Safety First, Exceptional Care, Uniquely Personal and One Team.
In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for the following benefits:
- Site performance bonus
- 25 days holiday + 8 days bank holiday
- Life Assurance
- A choice between 7% employer pension contribution or 5% contribution + private healthcare cover (AXA Private Medical Scheme)
- Access to a wide range of retail discounts and wellbeing support
- Ongoing learning & development
- Employee Assistance / Occupational health support Program
- Headspace: Mindfulness App
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Free Cremation: Immediate family
- Bereavement Leave
- Enhanced maternity & paternity pay
- Recognition scheme
- Free Flu jab
- Smart uniform and PPE provided
- Snack boxes / fruit boxes on site
- Free parking
What next? Start a career with significance by applying today.
We reserve the right to close the application window sooner if a significant number of applications are received.
If you’re not contacted, please assume you have been unsuccessful. Unfortunately, feedback is not always possible due to the volume of applications we receive.
Please visit www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Westerleigh-Group/jobs to submit your CV.